Garlickin' Good Seitan - a healthy vegan meat alternative that takes minutes to make
Let's get down to business! You'll want to start by whisking all your dry ingredients together in a bowl. If you've got a sifter, use that. The goal is to nicely blend everything up so it's nice and fluffy, removing chunks of flour and wheat gluten and spreading around that Garlickin' goodness. Once you've got all those blended nicely, you'll want to go ahead and add your veggie broth. If you'd like a smoky flavour, feel free to add a drop or two of liquid smoke to your broth now. Flour your hands and knead until you've got a nice ball of dough like this.
Set up your double boiler. Don't have one? Set a stainless colander over a pot of boiling water. Now you'll want to rip off pieces of your dough into bite sized bits and toss them into the colander.
After 10 minutes, it's time to turn off your double boiler and set up a non-stick pan. Add a tbsp of oil or vegan butter to your pan. Toss your seitan into the pan. I added plum sauce and some sesame seeds to mine but this is where you can get creative! BBQ sauce, something spicy or even Wholly Loaded's Ranchtastic are excellent additions! Coat the seitan in sauce and cook them over medium heat until they reach the desired crispiness. Careful if using plum sauce or other sweet sauces as they tend to burn easily. As you can see, some of mine turned out extra crispy (which I quite like).
GARLICKIN' GOOD SEITAN RECIPE
Ingredients (for a crowd):
- 2 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. Wholly Loaded Garlickin' Good seasoning
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (I used 2 cubes vegetable bouillon mixed with water)
- (optional) 1/2 tsp. salt
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Wholly Loaded Garlickin' Good seasoning
- 2/3 cups vegetable broth (I used 1 cubes vegetable bouillon mixed with water)
- (optional) 1/4 tsp. salt
Give it a smoky mushroom beef flavour by adding:
- 3 drops liquid smoke
- swap the vegetable bouillon for mushroom bouillon